Stainless Steel Vs Aluminium
Traditionally, Kelly Kettles were made from Aluminum and these kettles have been known to last for literally decades! However, in recent years in Europe, North America, Japan and Australia, there has been significant move by customers away from Aluminium products and over to steel as Steel is considered by many to be a 'cleaner' material.
Hence, our steel products are now significantly more popular than the traditional Aluminium kettles.
- Both versions of say the 'Base Camp' model have the exact same Shape, Height, Diameter, Water Volume & Pack the same.
- Stainless Steel is slightly heavier than Aluminum.
- Stainless Steel is a stronger metal and therefore more resilient to dents and knocks.
- The Aluminum kettle boils slightly faster than its steel twin, as Aluminum conducts heat faster than steel.
- There is little or no difference in price.
- There is no 'taste' off either metal.
- Both versions now come with upgraded steel fire-bases as standard (traditionally fire-bases used to be made from aluminium, but they used to burn out quite quickly and needed to be replaced frequently). These new Steel bases can be turned into an efficient wood fired camp stove by simply dropping our hugely popular 'Hobo Stove' accessory on top.
- Steel has a melting point almost twice that of Aluminium. So if the kettle is being used by someone who is inexperienced with how the kettle works (must be kept full with water, etc) they are less likely to damage the steel Kettle if is accidentially boiled dry!
- Because of the drop off in demand for Aluminium products, we no longer make any aluminium cookware etc. All of our Accessories are now made from Food Grade 304 Stainless Steel (Cups, Plates, Cook Sets, Pot Support, Hobo Camp stove).
Kelly Kettles come in 3 sizes and are available in either high grade Stainless Steel (304) or Anodized Aluminium (1020).
Our Steel Kettles are laser and spot welded with No Rivets. All kettles come with a durable stainless steel fire-base, drawstring carry bag, instruction leaflet and a 2 year Limited Warranty as standard.
- Base Camp - Boils 1.6 litres. Packed Height 33cm Width 18.5cm Suits: Groups, Family Outings, Car Camping, Fishing, Garden Allotments, etc
- Scout - Boils 1.2 litres. Packed Height 26.5cm Width 18.5cm Suits: Scouts, Small Groups or Families, Beach, etc.
- Trekker - Boils 0.6 litres. Packed Height 26.5cm Width 14cm Suits: 1-2 people, Backpacking, Trekking, Kayaking, Hill Walking, etc.
A popular Green Whistle has replaced the Orange stopper on all our Camping Kettles and Kits.
Please note: Per our instruction leaflets, the Kettle is not designed to be a water carrier. It has been designed to boil water extremely fast in all weather conditions using very little fuel. When filled with water, Kettles should always be carried upright in order to avoid any leakage from the chimney top or water spout.
That’s it really…..the choice is yours!
Other products are planned for Spring/Summer 2024. Our website and social media pages will be updated as new products become available.
Please Subscribe to our Newsletter to be notified when new products are available.